Allahabad Museum is located in the pleasing Chandrasekhar Azad Park, which is commonly known as Company Bagh. Allahabad Museum is among the national level museum of India. This museum is about 3 km from Allahabad Junction and 12 km from Bamrauli Airport. The beautiful location, green lawn makes the museum more attractive.
This museum was originally setup in 1863 by North-West Province Governor General Sir William Muir but it was shut down in 1881 for an unknown reason.
Pundit Jawaharlal Nehru has taken the initiative to reopen this museum, and the museum eventually opened in 1931 and it was publically opened in 1954. And in 1985 Allahabad Museum declared as an Institution of National Importance.
Allahabad Museum was established under the protection of Allahabad Municipality in 1931. At that time it was an only small collection of models of Birds and Animals.
At this time Allahabad museum has a rich collection of Arts, Sculpture, coins, archeological objects, illustrated manuscripts, arms and armors, photographs, and much more.
The house galleries of the museum are devoted to Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru.
This museum also has an exhibition hall which name was given in the memory of A.K. Coomaraswamy. In this hall, various temporary exhibitions on different themes are organized time to time.
Allahabad Museum has become the first museum in the country to become self-reliant in power generation using solar power system.