Singh was born on 2 December 1994 in Verowal, Punjab. He is an Indian professional field hockey player who plays as a forward for Uttar Pradesh Wizards in the Hockey India League and the India hockey team. Singh commenced to take part in hockey in secondary school before joining the Guru Angad Dev Sports Club. Further he joined the PAU Hockey Academy in Ludhiana in 2006 before joining the Surjit Hockey Academy in Jalandhar.
In 2013, Singh was auctioned to the Delhi Waveriders of the Hockey India League. After three seasons with Delhi, Singh was signed by the Uttar Pradesh Wizards for $84,000. Singh was the captain of the youth India hockey sides and has represented India senior side.He Played Olympics 2016 in Rio . He made 33 international goals.
Akashdeep Singh is one of the most exciting young hockey players in the country at the moment. He participated in his very first Olympics with the Indian team that qualified for Rio Olympics 2016 after winning the gold medal at the 2014 Asian Games in Korea.
Here are 10 interesting facts about the talented youngster:
- Akashdeep Singh was born on 2 December 1994 in Verowal, Punjab.
- He had the highest bid for an Indian player at the auction of Hockey India League as he was snapped by UP Wizards for $84,000.
- The young striker started playing hockey at Khadur Sahib-based Baba Gurmukh Singh Baba Uttam Singh Senior Secondary School. He also played for Guru Angad Dev Sports Club, Khadur Sahib, during the initial days of his career.
- He joined PAU Hockey Academy, Ludhiana in 2006 and then went to Surjit Hockey Academy in Jalandhar to hone his skills and learn the nuances of the game, and stayed there for four years.
- His brother Prabhdeep Singh is also a hockey player and has been a part of the Indian hockey team. His father Surinder Pal Singh is an inspector in Punjab Police.
- He was selected as a captain of the junior national hockey team of India in 2011 after having some phenomenal performances in his junior days. He led his side to a third-place finish in the 2011 Asia Cup (Junior) in Malaysia.
- Akashdeep was also a part of the team that played the Junior World Cup that was held in New Delhi in 2012, and broke into the senior national team in 2013.
- He was one of the main attacking forces for India at the 2014 edition of the World Cup which was held in Holland.
- The striker helped his team win the gold medal at the 2014 Asian Games in Korea, where India came first.
- He was also a part of the silver medal-winning team that came second in the 2014 Commonwealth Games, Glasgow.