Prep time- 30 min
Cooking time- 45 min
Total Time: 1 hour 15 min
- 1 Large onion
- 2 Large tomatoes
- 250 Gram paneer, cut in cubes
- 4-5 Cloves of garlic
- 1 -inch ginger
- 15-20 Cashews, soaked in water
- 1 Tablespoon cream
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2-3 Green Cardamoms (choti hari elaichi)
- 1 Inch Stick of Cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3-4 Cloves (laung)
- 1 Bay Leaf (tej patta)
- 1 Teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 Teaspoons coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar or 1 Teaspoon Honey, optional
- 1 Tablespoon Crushed Dry Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi)
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a pan. Add cumin seeds and fry them on low heat till they start to splutter.
- Add green cardamom (choti elaichi), cinnamon (dalchini) and cloves (laung) to butter. Fry on low flame them for a minute.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic cloves to the pan and cook for a minute.
- Add chopped onions and fry them till they turn translucent. There is no need to brown the onions.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook them till they become soft.
- Add cashews to the mixture. If you want you can roast the cashews separately before adding them.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt along with 1 cup of water.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 15-20 minutes till the mixture becomes soft.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and make a smooth fine paste. You can pass the paste through a sieve to remove the skin of the tomatoes and any other chunks.
- Again heat 1 tablespoon butter in a pan and add a bay leaf (tej patta) and red chilli powder to it. Fry it for a few seconds. This will give a nice color to the gravy.
- Add the onion tomato paste to the pan and mix it with the red chili powder. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add garam masala, coriander powder (dhania powder) and turmeric powder (haldi) to the mixture.
- Also, add some sugar to the gravy. Adding sugar is optional but it gives a nice taste to the gravy. You can also replace sugar with honey.
- Now add cream to the gravy and mix everything well. The cream will give a richness to the gravy. If you want to skip it you can use a little bit of milk instead.
- Sprinkle little crushed dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi). Finally, now it’s time to add the paneer cubes and cook everything for 3-4 minutes. If you want you can fry the paneer cubes very slightly before adding them.
- Paneer butter masala is ready. Serve it any bread like naan, missi roti, lachha parantha or with some rice preparation like jeera rice.