Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
For the Baked Apples:
- 6 medium baking apples (*see note below)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp (generous pinch) grated nutmeg
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup walnuts, finely chopped, optional
- 1 cup hot water
The process to Make Stuffed Baked Apples:
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Combine ½ cup brown sugar, 1 Tsp cinnamon, and ⅛ tsp nutmeg in a small bowl and stir with a fork. Stir in ⅓ cup dried cranberries and set aside.
- Wash and core the apples using a small paring knife, leaving base intact to keep the filling in – don’t cut all the way through! Place apples in a casserole dish just big enough to hold apples without touching.
- Divide the filling evenly between apples. Top each stuffed apple with ½ Tbsp butter, top with walnuts if using and sprinkle with any remaining cinnamon mixture.
- Pour 1 cup hot water into the casserole dish and bake at 375˚F for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until apples are soft (but not mushy). Baking time may vary by the type and size of apples you are using.