We’ve all heard the phrase “laughter is the free and best medicine,” but is there really any truth to it? Turns out there are many important health benefits of laughing. Studies have found that laughter can enhance both your physical and mental health.
Health benefits of laughter
Here are just a few ways that you can benefit from a good belly laugh:
- Laughter reduces stress and problems and gives relaxation to the mind and by releasing endorphins that can help you feel both physically and emotionally relaxed while lowering the effects of cortisol, the stress hormone.
- Laughter is good for your heart and brain. Laughter helps your blood vessels function better and increases blood flow to vital organs.
- Laughter may help boost your immune system by increasing your body’s disease-fighting white blood cells and antibodies.
- Laughter may help relieve pain by easing discomfort. It doesn’t take the pain away but makes it much easier to tolerate.
How to bring more laughter into your life?
Children tend to laugh often, but as adults, we may forget to take the time to laugh. Just like getting enough exercise is important to our health, so is getting enough laughter. Some experts recommend laughing for at least 15 minutes every day.
Let’s explore some simple and very easy ways to bring more laughter into your life
- Spend time with people who like to have fun and laugh.
- Watch funny videos or read your favorite comic strip every day.
- Smile often. Laughter always begins with a smile.
- Surround yourself with photos of funny memories.
- Remember to laugh at yourself and take yourself less seriously.
In addition to the incredible and better health benefits of this powerful, all-natural human gifted medicine, laughter is also fun, free and easy to use. However, the best part is that laughter is contagious. So go ahead, laugh and improve or increase your health and that of those around you because as they say, “Laugh and the world laughs with you.”